THE MYKHAYLYVSKY MONASTER Y OF JOHN FORERUNNER (IOANN PREDTECHA) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE XVII-XVIII cent.
When Cossacks and pospolytyjs from the Right Bank Ukraine were populating
Slobozhanschyna in the middle of the XVII c., they started to set up khutors, villages and
towns. Political events, in particular the war between the state of B.Khmelnitsky and The PolishLithuanian Commonwealth, influenced greatly the arrangement of monasteries. After the fights
there were often destroyed not only towns and villages, but also monasteries. In those
circumstances, the monks had to look for shelter on the borderland territories of the Moscow
kingdom. Often a monk set up a small hermitage or a cave, and after some time this place
became a monastery. This is how the Ianno-Predtechensky monastery appeared in the Lebedyn
region. It was first mentioned in 1676, and the construction started in 80-s of the XVII c. The
monastery had strong wooden and earth fortification that was typical for Cossacks fortification
tradition of the early modern time. Its arrangement was slightly different from the canonical
one. That can be explained with peculiarities of its location and desire to protect the community.
Possibly, Mykhajlo Vasyljev, the colonel from Hadyach, relative of the Ukrainian Hetman Ivan
Samojlovych, took part in construction and designing of the monastery. The families of Hetmans
Samojlovych, Mazepa and Polubotok took care of the monastery at different times. On the
territory of the monastery there were found remains of two temples: of the Virgin Leading into
the Temple and of the Ioann Predtecha (John the Runner). Remains of the big building (lower
the main monastery ground) can be also considered as one of the monastery buildings. The
monastery was closed during the monastery reform of the second half of the XVIIІ c. After that
all buildings and temples were taken to pieces.
KRAVCHENKO O.M. – Sumy State Pedagogical University named after A.S.Makarenko, PhD (History) (Ukraine).